الأحد، 23 أكتوبر 2016

Milestone Exercise: Age 16: Learning to Lose



Milestone Exercise
Positive and Negative Experiences that Shaped My Life


Age 16: Learning to Lose
Although I did not always win in the children’s games I played with my sister
and friends, I had never really experienced the real pain of defeat until I decided to participate in our school poetry competition. An extremely ambitious girl and a true perfectionist, I spent a whole month composing and polishing a brilliant – as I thought then – imitation of a Arabic sonnet. Both the form and the contents satisfied the strict requirements of the contest board, and I was more than sure that my opus should strike them as a true masterpiece. I even planned the way I would spend the monetary award after I get it.
However, my ambitious plans were never to come true: the poetic committee chose another contestant as a triumphant winner. No need to say, I spent an evening in tears and a whole two weeks in total depression. I could not realize how such a perfect poem could be rejected since for me – and for my supportive family – it was one of the best pieces ever written in world literature. Upon contemplation, however, I had to realize the bitter truth that tastes differ and ideas that are appropriate in one situation barely fit another. Instead of my old-fashioned sonnet, I should have devised a more modernistic verse for the competition that would satisfy the tastes of the young members of the contest board. This is how I learnt to adapt to individual requirements of different situation – the flexibility that is vital in an educator’s work.

ليست هناك تعليقات:

إرسال تعليق